2018 Yamaha Sidewinder S-TX DX 146
ROOTED IN ADVENTURE.
The S-TX DX 146 has a premium ride, while the heated trail seat and luggage bags allow you to keep riding no matter what mother nature throws at you.
- DUAL SHOCK SR 146 REAR SUSPENSION: The Dual Shock SR 146 offers a long profile version of our acclaimed trail comfort suspension. This lightweight suspension offers premium bump compliance with excellent resistance to bottoming. The Dual Shock SR 146 is a “coupled” skid-frame that utilizes a unique “sliding” front arm mount with half an inch of movement at the front arm “slot”. This active arm design delivers controlled (reduced) ski-lift during acceleration while retaining a good measure of independent front arm tracking.
- STANDARD MID-HEIGHT WIND DEFLECTOR: Escape the wind and winter’s chill with a sculpted, functional windshield. A small lip at the top deflects wind and snow up and over the rider at speed, while flared edges provided added protection and warmth for your hands.
- DIGITAL GAUGE: Full-featured and easy to read, the digital gauge displays critical information in a glance including speed, fuel level, trip mileage, tach and more. We even included a clock so you can watch the time fly.
- PUSH BUTTON REVERSE: Convenient handlebar positioning makes shifting to and from reverse easy with just the push of your thumb. A servo motor shifts the drivetrain into reverse simply and consistently. An audible warning beeper reminds you when you are still in reverse.
- STANDARD ELECTRIC START: Yamaha's electric starter system allows you to fire up your Sidewinder with the turn of a key. There is no pulling on a nylon cord to get this high-tech engine growling! And you don't pay more - Electric start is a standard feature on all of Yamaha's 4-stroke machines.
- CENTRALIZED MASS DESIGN: The SRV chassis layout was engineered with the goal of centralizing mass. Approximately 60 percent of the sled's weight is tightly centered within the main triangulation. The result is a quick-handling, well balanced sled, that's fun to throw around in a wide variety of conditions.
- SRV FRONT SUSPENSION: The SRV front suspension geometry is aimed at managing spindle camber, resulting in minimized bump-steer and maximized cornering bite giving rider confidence in varying trail conditions. The A-arms are mounted at a 30-degree angle from the sled's centerline to efficiently dissipate impact force throughout the entire chassis. Likewise, the front shocks mount directly to the leading spar so that trail forces are routed to the strongest part of the chassis. Wide a-arm spacing minimizes flex and stress in the front suspension system, which means consistent and confident corner handling.
- LIGHTWEIGHT, RIGID SRV CHASSIS: The SRV chassis combines a load-bearing triangulated structure with lightweight aluminum construction to create a neutrally balanced sled that's centered on the rider. The pyramidal upper frame creates chassis strength without excessive weight.
- GEN3 TUNER SKIS: The latest version of the Yamaha Tuner Ski is lightweight and designed for precise Handling response. A wide selection of carbides can be combined to dial the Tuner to fit any riding style. Replaceable ski tips are available in multiple colors for additional customization.
- HPG SHOCK PACKAGE: The Sidewinder S-TX DX 146 receives a full complement of proven, aluminum High Pressure Gas shocks with beefy 1.5 inch shafts front and rear to handle all the challenges the trail can dish out.
- HIGH TECH TURBO: The Nickel alloy turbine body is extremely strong and precise, able to withstand highly elevated temperatures. Supported by premium, ceramic ball bearings, the Inconel turbine blade assembly is very light and strong. This yields a low moment of inertia for lightning quick response to exhaust gas input. Triple throttle bodies are used exclusively to further enhance the quick delivery of compressed air from the impeller to intake valves.
- MITSUBISHI ELECTRONIC CONTROL UNIT: The Yamaha-developed Mitsubishi ECU uses a series of 9 sensors to gather running condition data which it computes using a predetermined memory ‘map’. It then adjusts ignition timing, fuel delivery, manifold air-pressure and turbo boost pressure to produce maximum performance under any condition - reliably.
- TRIPLE THROTTLE BODY INDUCTION: Yamaha wanted an engine that's exceptionally quick to respond with little or no 'lag' as found in a conventional turbo. One of the ways they achieved their goal was to develop an intake system using three separate throttle bodies positioned very close to the intake valves. Instead of just one feeding long intake tubes — something that is not seen in any other production turbo on the planet. And another first for Yamaha with the Genesis turbo.
- ELECTRONIC AIR BYPASS VALVE (APV): Unlike conventional turbo 'blow-off' valves, the Yamaha ABV redirects air pressure back into the intake side of the compressor to prevent surge and help maintain impeller speed, always at the ready for the next acceleration with seamless power delivery.
- LIQUID COOLED TURBO BODY: Engine coolant is circulated through the turbocharger to control both underhood temperature and help cool the intake charge. Upon engine shut down, the convection energy produced by super-heated coolant at the turbo head keeps it circulating without the coolant pump in operation. This eliminates the need for an engine cool down cycle while maintaining high durability in the turbo components.
- 998 GENESIS TURBO ENGINE: The turbo boosted, one liter triple is unmatched when it comes to delivering incredible power with the refinement and quality you have come to expect from a Yamaha. Designed around a premium turbo unit, every engine component from intake to exhaust, is dedicated to producing uncompromised performance. In only its second year in production the Yamaha turbo has earned the respect and reputation befitting the industry’s highest achiever. Truly this is the potent venom of a Sidewinder X-TX SE 141 bite.
- YSRC HIGH PERFORMANCE CLUTCH SYSTEM: The YSRC primary and roller secondary clutches were specifically designed for durable, cool operation. They harness and transfer the massive torque produced by the Genesis Turbo, efficiently to the track while minimizing drive belt wear. The primary shifts out aggressively to use all the power on tap while the roller secondary is quick to back-shift and provides additional ratio through its oversize sheaves to keep accelerating long after the others have signed off.
- REAR HARD CASE WITH AUXILIARY TANK: You won’t be caught short on a long ride with the convenient, moisture proof, hard storage case and 4 gallon auxiliary fuel tank. Total fuel capacity is bumped up to 14 gallons which goes a long ways on the trail (and your peace of mind).
- HEATED TRAIL SEAT: A standard heated seat provides the ultimate in warmth and comfort on even the coldest of winter days. A simple flip of the dash-mounted switch allows you to choose from two settings of warmth allowing you to explore what lies beyond that next curve from sun-up to sundown in complete comfort.
- EBRS ENGINE BRAKING CONTROL: The effect of 4-stroke 'engine braking' when the throttle valves are closed has a significant impact on Handling and ride character. Yamaha developed a special system which employs the ISC (idle speed control) circuit and ECU map using throttle valve movement and RPM information to reduce negative intake pressure during deceleration.
||Sidewinder S-TX DX 146
Engine & Drivetrain
||Front / Center / Rear - Monotube Alum-HP GAS-1.5
Independent, Double Wishbone
Travel - 10 in. (254 mm)
Dual shock SR 146
Travel - 14.5 in. (368 mm)
||Turbo 4 Stroke, Ultra Performance class
||10.7 gal. (40.5 l)
||Reverse - Standard
||Electronic Fuel Injection
||Adjustable - 42 in. (1067 mm)
||146 x 15 x 1.25 in. (3,708 x 381 x 31.8 mm) Camso® Ripsaw™ II